New lizard species identified!

It’s called a Northern Sierra Madre Forest Monitor Lizard

From the Reuters news service:

“A dragon-sized, fruit-eating lizard that lives in the trees on the northern Philippines island of Luzon has been confirmed as a new species, scientists reported on Tuesday.”

Read more here.

This entry was posted in Science News and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to New lizard species identified!

Awesome! Aren’t most of the lizards come from tropical areas?

This Northern Sierra Madre Forest Monitor Lizard looks kinda like a Komodo Dragon. 🙂

2. Nick W says:

Thats interesting, but why is it called Sierra Madre Forest Monitor, when I happen to know Sierra Madre is in california, where the gold diggers went. There is a movie and a book, both entitled ‘Treasure of the Sierra Madre’.

3. Brennan says:

That’s really cool. But these animals are the 3rd fruit eating species in the world? That is really shocking. It sounds kind of like a gentle giant

4. Callum J. says:

Sweet! A dragon sized lizard sounds really cool. I thought that because it is dragon sized that it would be very ferocious, but it actually eats fruit. Hahaha

5. Samg says:

The reason it is called the Sierra Madre Forest moniter is that there are two Sierra Madres. One is in the Phillipines, where the lizard was discovered. The other is the one in California. This thing is so cool!!!

I saw a video about lizards that twitch fire ants of them because otherwise the ants would sting them to death. Does this Lizard???????

6. Coleman! says:

It reminds me of the Komono Dragon. Are they at all related? Either way it’s really cool that like a DRAGON was found! But will it take away from the common cycle of its location? Meaning that will it eat the food or animals the people need to survive? But still what an exciting discovery!

7. Peter L says:

I can’t believe that it was first spotted in 2001, so it took 9 years to declare it a new species. When I first saw it, I thought that it was a komodo dragon. But like Brennan said, it seems more like a “gentle giant” than a Komodo Dragon.

8. James G says:

Wow that’s awesome! I didn’t really think many species were being discovered anymore except for in really hard to reach places like Antarctica. Anyway, its the size of a dragon thats pretty crazy.

9. manny says:

that is so cool how big it is but what I wonder is how did they not find it before a thing that big should be found pretty quickly.

10. max poobear says:

you can see how well designed this animal is. its very long which gives it an advantage to be secure in the trees, and also very light for its size which makes it ideal for jumping and reaching

11. nick k says:

I can’t believe that they found a new species! That is crazy. I thought what James had, that they weren’t really discovering new species anymore but I guess not. And WOW it is the size of a dragon that is so crazy. But the fact that something that big can live off just fruit is even crazier.

12. Jack says:

I think its really cool that they found a new species. Ive heard of monitors before but i didnt know that there were different species. It also looks very cool.

13. AvErY! says:

Its really awesome that they found a new kind of lizard. Its also really neat that its huge and eats fruit. I find that CrAzY

14. Kyle S. says:

HA! The giant ferocious vegetarian lizard. It is kind of weird how they just found that out. You would think that they would have found all the species of lizards like 10 years ago.

15. Kyle S. says:

Also it is kind of weird. How do they know how big a dragon is?

16. Carter says:

very interesting article

17. Holden says:

How big/tall is mount everest?

18. Jason says:

Wow! It is so amazing that they found a new species of lizards, and on top of that the article was very interesting about the new lizard.

19. Dean says:

I wonder if it is closely related to the dinasours, like the komodo dragon.

20. Denis W. says:

Why did it take so long to declare it a new species?Wasn’t it first spotted in 2001. When I first saw it, I thought that it was a komodo dragon. But then I realize it was more gentle.

21. Julian P says:

Thats amazing! I love it when new things are discovered. I always wanted to discover my own dinosaur and name it. That would be so cool

JP

22. SAM s says:

I like it when new species are discovered. I remember when i learned that there was a new species of sharks discovered a couple of years ago and i read all about it

23. Timmy says:

To answer all of your questions, the reason scientists didn’t find the species a long time ago is because they hid high up in trees. They also are camoflauge, so they are hard to see. And yes, I found out that the Sierra Madre Forest Moniter is indeed closely related to the Komodo Dragon of Indonesia, but the Sierra Madre forest Moniter is a vegetarian.

24. Timmy says:

FUN FACT!!! Apparently, Scientists found this species in 2006, when two hunters were found carrying a huge dead lizard. However, scientists did not know that this species was a new species until recently. SO COOL

25. Henry M. says:

Most lizards eat live things like insects or small mice, but for this to eat fruit and for this to be so big it must be a gentle giant

26. jose says:

wow i thought that was a komono dragon at first that is so cool=)

27. bgross says:

how was it found did someone just see it and say hey i’ve never seen that before?

28. Saheer says:

Anything that says dragon seems awesome to me. i thinks its cool that lizzards can just get rid of their skin and grow it back

29. Charles says:

When I first saw this I thought it was going to be like a komodo dragon but I guess its not. This dragon must eat a lot of fruit to quench its diet.

30. Carter says:

How does this lizard eat fruit yet it so big?

31. manny says:

yes charles I agree this is a big mama

32. Griffin Tang says:

Cool but is this the same as the komoto dragon?

33. Kyle C. says:

This seems really cool. I think that this species is probably closest related to the kamodo dragon and that this seems awesome.

34. Kyle C. says:

do you know any sites that i can learn a lot from other people. People do bad things to lizards also so i was wondering if this type of species is endangered. Maybe you can keep us posted and updated.